Associated Builders and Contractors Southeastern Michigan (ABC SEMI) is excited to announce its first ever Student Chapter formed with Lawrence Technological University (LTU). Students attending LTU for their degree in construction management, architectural engineering, civil engineering, and various other areas of study have formed a new group on campus we’re calling a “Student Chapter.” This group is structured to first and foremost help students further their careers but can also be valuable resource for ABC SEMI members in need of estimators, project managers, and more.
The ABC National Student Chapter Network (NSCN) connects local ABC chapters to colleges and universities with construction related degree programs with the ultimate goal of building the construction management pipeline and mentoring future leaders of the construction industry.
At the local level, ABC chapters facilitate the interaction of ABC member firms with student chapters through a variety of industry association and school events, including regular membership meetings, guest speakers, internships, community service projects, fundraisers, career fairs/career awareness events, job site tours, and other activities.
As a member of an ABC student chapter, students are given the opportunity to become more knowledgeable about the construction industry while learning the importance of the merit shop philosophy and free-enterprise through active association involvement. Involvement in the student chapter provides interaction with ABC National and chapter staff, member contractors, faculty and staff, and students with similar interests and career goals.
- Meet and work with ABC SEMI members and chapter staff
- Participate in membership events
- Volunteer with at local chapter
- Attend careers fairs and secure internships
- Job site visits
- Compete in the Construction Management Competition (CMC)
- Apply for the Student Chapter of the Year award
- Become part of a network with over 40 ABC student chapters across the country
- Officer positions available
- Scholarship opportunities
- Community service projects
- Share the ABC mission, philosophy and vision with the next generation
- Host workshops on professional development.
- Facilitate interactions between student chapters and members
- Represent your chapter on school campuses
- Meet and mentor students who will be tomorrow’s construction leaders
- Network with students at ABC SEMI events